Tuesday, May 12, 2009

21st Century Sellouts




Being someone who graduated high school in the mid nineties I got to hear many bands I grew up on referred to as "sellouts". Most of the time I found the accusation to be unwarranted. Who wouldn't want to bring their music to a wider audience and if you can maintain your artistic integrity why not? Shit, Sonic Youth made difficult/great records for almost two decades on Geffen.

So when I call Green Day "sellouts" I don't mean it lightly. The reason being the bands exclusive contract with Stuart (Fox News) Murdoch's paper The Sun for an exclusive stream of their new album. Coming from the punk rock scene in Berkley California that spawned bands like Operation Ivy and Jawbreaker it is disappointing to see them partner up with someone like Murdoch especially since the band hardly needs the exposure. Click headline for the Guardian's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment