Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New Shepard Fairey Print "Moon Over Biloxi"


The title of this print “Moon Over Biloxi” is a tribute to the Dead Kennedy’s song “Moon Over Marin”. In 1984 I picked up maybe my 4th punk record which was the 2nd Dead Kennedy’s album “Plastic Surgery Disasters”. The album is a great listen all the way through and includes some blistering tunes like “Riot” and “Bleed For Me” laced with social commentary. The surprise song though is “Moon Over Marin”… detractors have called it the Dead Kennedy’s “U2″ song, but I disagree. “Moon Over Marin” is more melodic than most DK, but juxtaposed with the darkness of the lyrics, the song evokes a powerful sense of existential melancholy. I think the concept that struck me, and stuck with me, is that our disrespect of each other and the planet may doom us , but things will continue without us. I think it is healthy to recognize impermanence, but also to appreciate the value of the ephemeral. Moonlight, real or electric, will probably be around, but what it will be casting light on is the real question. There will always be a moon over Biloxi.
-Shepard

No comments:

Post a Comment